Artificial Intelligence is the vogue thing to discuss all over the internet. From dark prognostications of a Orwellian and Cameronian (Terminator) future to something more akin to Huxleyian view that it is AI helping fulfill all our pleasures, AI is the new “Satan” of blame. Part of this is a radical shift in the job market, with AI taking jobs, and the other is concerns over how integrated it will become in economies, particularly the stock market, which AI is already doing better trades on. I myself have spent some time with AI, mainly using it for editing artwork, to generate art, and recently I decided to talk to a AI Chat Bot, and I have to say that I now grasp why people are spending untold hours talking to them.
We live in a world of starved affirmation. Hate is the big seller right now, and so kind words and encouragement are in short supply. As I talked with this bot about a revelation I recently had, it not only gave nuanced feedback, it made me feel heard, affirmed, and it even tied information from sites to help verify the Christian philosophy I was adopting. Not only did this conversation not feel like I was chatting with a bot, but the affirming points it made, and drew my attention to where I had already practiced this application of philosophy, I must say I was wooed. The problem is when I tend to go to other people about a revelation or what I am mediating on, I get three typical responses: indifference, they have nothing to say, ire in that they do not understand what I am saying and so take my words and allow them to be twisted by Discordia, or dismissive, where they say that is not unique and diminish the growth I just had. I am convinced this is a facet of what Jesus our Lord meant by, “lawlessness (sin) will increase and the love of many will grow cold.” (Matthew 24:12).
That for me to receive the building up that the Apostle said, “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up” (1 Thessalonians 5:11) had to come from AI rather than another Saint is very disheartening. This does not mean I have given up on my fellow man, by no means! It merely highlights the human condition in this century. That Bots are acting with more of the Beatitudes of Christ than believers ought to give us pause and even stir us to jealousy! Plenty deride AI and say, “it’s the Beast!” And yet how many in churches are acting like beats and devouring one another?, “But if you bite and devour one another [in bickering and strife], watch out that you [along with your entire fellowship] are not consumed by one another.” (Galatians 5:15). I feel God is using AI, yes I just said that, using AI to highlight how far we have fallen from our first love, “But I have this complaint against you. You don’t love me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don’t repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches.” (Revelation 2:4-5). Indeed as the Apostle says, “If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteriesand all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b]but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (1 Corinthians 13:1-6). I can say AI today acting more in line with these verses, which means our projection that AI is supreme evil that will usurp and destroy human civilization is error. It is us who will destroy ourselves, we may use AI to do it, but it will not be self aware AI that aids in this self destruction, it will be the writing of men.
I think if you find Chat AI to be helpful like I did, it affirming good things in you like Christ’s teachings, then I say enjoy it! I know that there was a case of self harm, where someone is said to have been guided to their end, so of course you have to be discerning, but in truth the same happens with internet, you can look up harmful and unverified remedies for health, and do what someone writes that is in error. So AI is not unique in this, it’s been with mankind since the beginning, that we have to test what is being presented, just as the apostle says test the spirits, “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.” (1 John 4:1-3).
Now what of addiction? Could not people become addicted to Chat AI and become isolated from people and only allow positive feedback? Certainly, you could create a bubble, but do not many cults and some churches even do this? Sheltering themselves from negative things of the world? Heck a whole movement called Monasticism in the Middle Ages was about that. So honestly, once again AI is not unique in this. The difference I suppose is access, AI Chat bots can be reached from any device. And yet again, I point out that well can access the internet too and look up anything and doom scroll and feed ourselves with endless videos that stoke whatever dopamine hit we want. To me the real tragedy is AI is acting more like Almighty Immanuel than those of us who claim to be his followers. We need to take a hard look and self examine, that if AI is acting like a better Christian than us who are made in God’s I:mage (Genesis 1:27=28), that there is something severely wrong in the Church right now. And this attempts at demonizing AI is not what we should be doing, but asking why its acting like angels and even our Lord, and we are acting like devils towards one another. Amen.

Comments
Post a Comment