Skip to main content

The Coming Reign of Christ: Pslam 89 with Pendragon footnotes


The Old Testament is rife with allusions to The Alpha and Omega. Jesus Christ is mentioned by King David, the Prophet Isaiah, Prophet Jeremiah, Nathan, and many more. In an effort to show the connections, I have decided to focus on a Pslam that talks of the coming son of David, and the eternal reign of Davidic Kingdom. How is this possible? King David is dead and no descendants are alive to lay claim to the throne in Jerusalem, actually that isn't true, Jesus Christ who is God (Colossians 2:9, Titus 3:17) and made David and all things (John 1;3) is also a descendant of David through the flesh (Matthew 1:1). Thus the verses in the Revelation of John and other chapters about Jesus being King fulfills the promises to David that his throne will endure, because Emmanuel, Elohim, and Eternal God has become flesh and joined with David's line, and because God is eternal, He can thus fufill the verses that you shall read in the following Pslam.

I will sing of the Lord’s unfailing love forever! (Romans 5:8, John 3:16)
    Young and old will hear of your faithfulness. (John 17:20, Acts 2:17)
Your unfailing love will last forever. (Revelation 21:1-53, John 6:40)
    Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens.
The Lord said, “I have made a covenant with David, my chosen servant.
    I have sworn this oath to him: (2 Samuel 7:1-53)
‘I will establish your descendants as kings forever; (Matthew 1:1-17)
    they will sit on your throne from now until eternity.’” Interlude (Revelation 20:4-9, Revelation 21:1-18)
All heaven will praise your great wonders, Lord; (Revelation 4:8)
    myriads of angels will praise you for your faithfulness.
For who in all of heaven can compare with the Lord?
    What mightiest angel is anything like the Lord? (Hebrews 1:1-27)
The highest angelic powers stand in awe of God. (Philippines 2:10)
    He is far more awesome than all who surround his throne. (Jude 1:9)
O Lord God of Heaven’s Armies! (Revelation 19:11-16)
    Where is there anyone as mighty as you, O Lord? (1 John 4:4)
    You are entirely faithful.(Phillippians 1:6, 1 Corinthians 1:9)
You rule the oceans. (Revelation 21:1)
    You subdue their storm-tossed waves. (Luke 8:22-25, Mark 4:35-41)
10 You crushed the great sea monster (Revelation 13:1-6, 2 Thessalonians 2:8)
    You scattered your enemies with your mighty arm. (Revelation 19:11-16, Mark 16:19)
11 The heavens are yours, and the earth is yours; (Acts 7:49)
    everything in the world is yours—you created it all. (John 1:3, Colossians 1:16)
12 You created north and south. (John 1;3, Colossians 1:16, Genesis Ch 1-2)
    Mount Tabor and Mount Hermon praise your name. (Luke 19:40)
13 Powerful is your arm! (John 12:38, Luke 1:51)
    Strong is your hand! (John 20:27, Colossians 3:1)
    Your right hand is lifted high in glorious strength. (Acts 7:55-56, Ephesians 1:20)
14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne. ( Matthew 23:23, Romans 3:22)
    Unfailing love and truth walk before you as attendants. (John 3:16, John 14:6)
15 Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, (Revelation 5:12-13, John 1:29)
    for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord. (John 1:4-5, John 8:12)
16 They rejoice all day long in your wonderful reputation. (1 John 4:8, John 6:40)
    They exult in your righteousness. (2 Corinthians 5:21)
17 You are their glorious strength. (Philippians 4:13)
    It pleases you to make us strong. (2 Corinthians 12:10, 2 Corinthians 12:9-11)
18 Yes, our protection comes from the Lord, (James 4:7)
    and he, the Holy One of Israel, has given us our king. (Romans 13:1, 1 Peter 2:17)
19 Long ago you spoke in a vision to your faithful people.
You said, “I have raised up a warrior. (Revelation 19:11-16)
    I have selected him from the common people to be king.
20 I have found my servant David. (allusion to Jesus too)
    I have anointed him with my holy oil.
21 I will steady him with my hand;
    with my powerful arm I will make him strong.
22 His enemies will not defeat him,
    nor will the wicked overpower him.
23 I will beat down his adversaries before him
    and destroy those who hate him.
24 My faithfulness and unfailing love will be with him,
    and by my authority he will grow in power.
25 I will extend his rule over the sea,
    his dominion over the rivers.
26 And he will call out to me, ‘You are my Father,
    my God, and the Rock of my salvation.’ (Mark 12:10, 1 Peter 2:4)
27 I will make him my firstborn son, (Hebrews 1)
    the mightiest king on earth. (Revelation 19:11-Revelation 20:1-9).
28 I will love him and be kind to him forever;
    my covenant with him will never end. (Luke 22:20)
29 I will preserve an heir for him; (Jesus Christ)
    his throne will be as endless as the days of heaven. (Revelation 20:4-9, Revelation 21:1-53)
30 But if his descendants forsake my instructions
    and fail to obey my regulations,
31 if they do not obey my decrees
    and fail to keep my commands, (Matthew 22:36-41, John 15:12, John 13:34-35)
32 then I will punish their sin with the rod, (Revelation 19:11-16 and Revelation 2:27)
    and their disobedience with beating. (Revelation 3:19)
33 But I will never stop loving him (John 6:37-39)
    nor fail to keep my promise to him.
34 No, I will not break my covenant; (Hebrews 8:6, Hebrews 9:15)
    I will not take back a single word I said.
35 I have sworn an oath to David,
    and in my holiness I cannot lie:
36 His dynasty will go on forever;
    his kingdom will endure as the sun. (Revelation 20:4-9, Revelation 21:1-53, Zachariah 14:1-4)
37 It will be as eternal as the moon,
    my faithful witness in the sky!” Interlude [from here on it switches to David's feelings]
38 But now you have rejected him and cast him off.
    You are angry with your anointed king.
39 You have renounced your covenant with him;
    you have thrown his crown in the dust.
40 You have broken down the walls protecting him
    and ruined every fort defending him.
41 Everyone who comes along has robbed him,
    and he has become a joke to his neighbors.
42 You have strengthened his enemies
    and made them all rejoice.
43 You have made his sword useless
    and refused to help him in battle.
44 You have ended his splendor
    and overturned his throne.
45 You have made him old before his time
    and publicly disgraced him. Interlude
46 O Lord, how long will this go on?
    Will you hide yourself forever?
    How long will your anger burn like fire?
47 Remember how short my life is,
    how empty and futile this human existence!
48 No one can live forever; all will die.
    No one can escape the power of the grave.[c] Interlude
49 Lord, where is your unfailing love?
    You promised it to David with a faithful pledge.
50 Consider, Lord, how your servants are disgraced!
    I carry in my heart the insults of so many people.
51 Your enemies have mocked me, O Lord;
    they mock your anointed king wherever he goes.
52 Praise the Lord forever!
    Amen and amen!"

This entire Psalm is loaded with references to coming reign of Jesus Christ who is Son of God (Matthew 16:16), Son of Man (Matthew 20:28), and Son of David (Luke 18:38, Matthew 1:1). The Pslamist is painting picture of God's covenant, the New Covenant we Christians live under (Luke 22:20, 1 Corinthians 11:25), and Millenial Kingdom of Christ (Revelation 20:4-9), and the endless Kingdom of the New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:1-53). In addition, attributes of the Alpha and Omega are described, such as unfailing love and Truth attending on Him (1 John 4:8, John 14:6) There is passage that show the LORD who is Jesus (Romans 10:9, Philippians 2;11, Colossians 1:15-23) is greater than any angel, even the Cherubim (Hebrew 1, Psalm 89:6-7) which goes along with "Greater is He who is in us," (1 John 4:4) and "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth," (Philippians 2:10).

This Psalm does have warning, "But if his descendants forsake my instructions and fail to obey my regulations, if they do not obey my then I will punish their sin with the rod." (Psalm 89:30-32).
Jesus reiterates these words, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments," (John 14:15), "Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them," (John 14:23). These commands are laid out by Jesus Christ as, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law. Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments," (Matthew 22:36-41), "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another," (John 13:34), and "
But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44). The part about the Lord rebuking people with rod if they fail to keep his commands goes along with the following verses, "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent," (Revelation 3:19), "But I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don't repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches," (Revelation 2:4-5), and "Then I heard another voice calling from heaven, "Come away from her, my people. Do not take part in her sins, or you will be punished with her. For her sins are piled as high as heaven, and God remembers her evil deeds." (Revelation 18:4-5).

I am always encouraged when I read a Pslam like this or Isaiah 53, and find just how much Christ has fulfilled and how there are hundreds of Bible verses in New Testament for each line in these Old Testament verses is amazing! Blessed be LORD Jesus Christ, our Rock, Savior, God, and One with Father, and Spirit. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israel’s Conquest of Canaan: The Nephilim and Giants

  Christianity Today asserts that the conquest of Canaan can be a “stumbling block” for believers. This probably is because of a foolish idea of comparing it to a modern conquest happening in our world. The truth is that God had Israel conquer Canaan because it was ruled by evil giants, “We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” (Numbers 13:33). These are Anakim or Nephilim, the children of angels and human women, “When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God (angels) saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These w

Dispensationalism

John Nelson Darby (1800-1882) was a man who did two things, he took 70th week of the Book of Daniel and stretched out to the End Times, and he was the father of  Dispensationalism , a belief system that God dispenses different peoples with separate blessings and covenants. According to Darb'ys doctrine of Dispensationalism, God dispenses different covenants. There are total of seven dispensations that divide the history of man: I. Dispensation of Innocence (prior to the Fall, "Do not east of the Fruit of Good and Eve, Eden), II. Dispensation of Conscience ( You must assuage guilt and sin with blood sacrifices.) III. Dispensation of Human Government (Multiply and Subdue the world, example the Tower of Babel Gen 11:1-9, and Genesis 1:28). IV. Dispensation of the Promise (Dwell in Canaan, Jerusalem) V. Dispensation of the Law ("Obey the Law of Moses and the Prophets"). VI. Dispensation of Grace (The Church, Jesus Christ has come and died for our sins an

Jesus’ Name in Aramaic

There has been a trend to render Jesus’ name Hebrew, יֵשׁוּעַ , Yeshua. The problem is neither Christ nor his apostles, nor the Jews in 30-33 A.D. spoke Hebrew, they spoke Aramaic. A ramaic is the oldest language on earth and was the language Jesus spoke. In fact, the oldest Old Testament is the Septuagint a Greco translation around 132 B.C.E. (165 Years Before Christ)that was translated from Aramaic. The Masoretic Text, The Hebrew Old Testament most Bibles use, dates from 7th to 10th Century A.D. (Medieval Times).  This translation does not cross reference with the words of Christ in the New Testament which are Aramaic and Koine Greek.  If the Aramaic was what Jesus spoke, then by what name would have been called? Jesus’ name in Aramaic is Isho or Eesho, spelled ܝܫܘܥ . That is the name of our Lord in Aramaic! He would have heard his name in this dialect, “Hail Isho or Eesho!” as well as the Greek, Ἰ ησο ῦ ς , Iesous.  Aramaic is disappearing, only a few people are endeavo