Skip to main content

Being One



The Church is so fragmented. We are divided by denominations, doctrines, and different dioceses. We have split into different schools of thought and remain contentious because of diverse perceptions. I could write and argue how this divisiveness is only giving the devil glee and that we need to unify especially now when the world is starting a new persecution against the saints; but rather than try to sway with my rhetoric and my passion, I shall share my picture above and the words of Christ himself. This is what Jesus Christ, the Living Son of God and Savior to all Christians who believe said on the subject of oneness and what He and the Father desired for the Church.
 
The Gospel of John:
Chapter 17, Verses 17-26
(New International Version)
 
Jesus Prays for His Disciples
 
6I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9 I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
13“I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 18As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
 

Jesus Prays for All Believers
 
20“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
24“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
 
25“Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

As is evident from the words of Christ himself, the desire is for completely unified Church. Realistically it seems impossible to get every denomination; Orthodox to Baptist to Charismatic to even sit under the same roof. It will take the Lord himself to compel the Church to come together and defend the faith. If all believers were to rally together, we would be 2.1 Billion voices! (Estimate 2012, Wikipedia). Imagine is the whole Body of Christ was to stand up for their rights and stop squabbling over doctrinal differences and the observances of certain rites. Imagine a Church that accepted each other and saw each other as St. Paul did:

The Epistle to The Corinthians:
Chapter 12, Verses 12-26
The New International Translation

Unity and Diversity in the Body

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.
15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
____________

St. Paul makes it clear that we are all apart of Christ's Body and we each have different gifts. The Orthodox Churches are part of Christ's Body, and the Charismatic Churches are part of Christ's Body. There is suppose to be diversity! We are meant to be different and yet celebrate that we are one! Why must be separated and treat one another like enemies? The Father, Christ, and St. Paul inspired by The Holy Spirit desires that all Christians be one and unified. God allots us our differences because we need each other. The Catholics know the methods to route the devil, the Charismatics how to uses the Gifts of the Spirit, and the Messianic (Christ Believing) Jews know the colloquiums and history/heritage that helps us understand Christ and the culture in which he lived.

Frankly, I find that each denomination has something valid and wonderful to offer. The Roman Catholic Church has the candle ritual of prayer that creates solemnness and serenity for making supplication. The Greek Orthodox has iconography such as Tempera portraits and paintings to increase piety. The Eastern Orthodox or Russian Orthodox have brilliantly built dome cathedrals with spires that make you feel as if they reach to The Sanctuary of the Almighty. The Lutherans have hymns that will bring harmony to your soul and help aid in hindering the devil's hordes. The Baptists revere and read the Bible with such boldness that heresy is unable to survive. The Evangelicals make it their mission to evangelize and keep the core tenants of the Everlasting Truth of the Gospels intact. The Presbyterians put a nice mixture of pontification, prayer, and powerful worship together. The Charismatics commune with Christ in a personal way and they convey the Spirit through the gifts. The Messianic Jews merge the rich history and heritage of the Old Testament with the New Testament. 

Each part of the Church has something to offer and should be proud that Christ has chosen them to have unique and specific rites, rituals, and ways to worship and connect with Christ. Now the task is to allow each individual denomination to come together as Christ intended and be One Body.

Notes:

Typically I insert Scripture into my argument and quote accordingly. However, I wanted the full context to be available. I also wanted the Scriptures to speak and make the case instead of just my own words.

I would like to thank BibleGateway.com for helping me paste the sacred Scriptures. I choose the NIV translation because it is the most diversely readable. If you prefer a different translation please visit BibleGateway.com and look up the Chapters and verses I have presented.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israel’s Conquest of Canaan: The Nephilim and Giants

  Christianity Today asserts that the conquest of Canaan can be a “stumbling block” for believers. This probably is because of a foolish idea of comparing it to a modern conquest happening in our world. The truth is that God had Israel conquer Canaan because it was ruled by evil giants, “We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” (Numbers 13:33). These are Anakim or Nephilim, the children of angels and human women, “When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God (angels) saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These w

Dispensationalism

John Nelson Darby (1800-1882) was a man who did two things, he took 70th week of the Book of Daniel and stretched out to the End Times, and he was the father of  Dispensationalism , a belief system that God dispenses different peoples with separate blessings and covenants. According to Darb'ys doctrine of Dispensationalism, God dispenses different covenants. There are total of seven dispensations that divide the history of man: I. Dispensation of Innocence (prior to the Fall, "Do not east of the Fruit of Good and Eve, Eden), II. Dispensation of Conscience ( You must assuage guilt and sin with blood sacrifices.) III. Dispensation of Human Government (Multiply and Subdue the world, example the Tower of Babel Gen 11:1-9, and Genesis 1:28). IV. Dispensation of the Promise (Dwell in Canaan, Jerusalem) V. Dispensation of the Law ("Obey the Law of Moses and the Prophets"). VI. Dispensation of Grace (The Church, Jesus Christ has come and died for our sins an

Jesus’ Name in Aramaic

There has been a trend to render Jesus’ name Hebrew, יֵשׁוּעַ , Yeshua. The problem is neither Christ nor his apostles, nor the Jews in 30-33 A.D. spoke Hebrew, they spoke Aramaic. A ramaic is the oldest language on earth and was the language Jesus spoke. In fact, the oldest Old Testament is the Septuagint a Greco translation around 132 B.C.E. (165 Years Before Christ)that was translated from Aramaic. The Masoretic Text, The Hebrew Old Testament most Bibles use, dates from 7th to 10th Century A.D. (Medieval Times).  This translation does not cross reference with the words of Christ in the New Testament which are Aramaic and Koine Greek.  If the Aramaic was what Jesus spoke, then by what name would have been called? Jesus’ name in Aramaic is Isho or Eesho, spelled ܝܫܘܥ . That is the name of our Lord in Aramaic! He would have heard his name in this dialect, “Hail Isho or Eesho!” as well as the Greek, Ἰ ησο ῦ ς , Iesous.  Aramaic is disappearing, only a few people are endeavo