Skip to main content

Hope in Hopeless Times


With the COVID-19 virus mutating and life as we know it not returning to normalcy any time soon, it can feel hopeless. I have been privy to some suicides, some friends have lost loved ones who in their despair and depression took their lives. I have heard of others who have started taking medications for depression and anxiety. There is no doubt that this “brave new world,” we sre living in is taking a toll on people.  

Right now as Christians we need to steel ourselves with the words of the apostle, “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. So what shall I choose? I do not know. I am torn between the two. I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better indeed. But it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.” (Philipoians 1:21-24). This must be our mantra, “to live is Christ, to die is gain.” This means we endeavor to live, to be Christ’s amabssadors on earth () and to fight the good fight of faith; to stay alive until Christ calls us home. Remember you represent Jesus, while you do need to confess your despairs and feelings fo Christ, casting all your anxiety on him (1 Peter 5:7), and helping one another, “Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ,” (Galatians 6:2), do not go it alone!  Remember Christ sent them out two by two, “Calling the Twelve to him, he began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over impure spirits” (Mark 6:7), and “After this, the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of Him to every town and place He was about to visit.” (Luke 10:1). Our Lord and God Jesus knew you need help, one other person to help you endure hardships. If you can only do that by Skype or online right now, at least you have that. 

 We have a monumental responsibility as Christians to shed the light of hope in a dark world. It is Christ who is the blessed hope, “while we wait for the blessed hope--the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,” (Titus 2:13), but we carry Christ in us, “To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27), and we are in Christ, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1), “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come,” (2 Corinthians 5:17), and “All who declare that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God” (1 John 4:15). This means every encounter is an evangelistic moment. We are living and breathing hope. The problem is when we too become bogged down by despair and depression. How can we reflect the light of Immanuel if we are held captive by  sorrow and anxiety? We certainly don’t hide such feelings and put on a Superman cape and face. No being vulnerable is sincerity, and we need to admit we meed hope rekindled or refreshed in us through Christ’s presence and talking with Him (prayer), and talking with trusted friends about our feelings. We are not impregnable to palpable gang of despair, depression, and discouragement; we are disciples of Christ but we are also weak human beings, but in weakness God’s power rests on us “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). God delights in weakness, thank God! Or else we would be trapped trying to put on the mask of being perfect. 

Our mandate is to give hope, to preach the Gospel and baptize in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We arn’t offering a tonic that purges all painful emotions, those will disappear upon Christ’s return, no we offer eternal life through faith in Christ, that there is beyond all this despair the blessed hope awaiting us and living in us; that we partake now in His presence and shall one day have all tears wiped away, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away” (Revelation 21:4). Our emotions may fray as much as next person, but we put our trust in One who drank the drought of all our despairs and nailed them all to the cross!  

We must caste our despairs on Christ, “casting all your cares (anxieties, worries) on Him, because he cares about you.” (1 Peter 5:7). That means being honest with the Lord. Tell him you have cabin fever, you feel like life is a nightmare or whatever words you need to say. It is not a sign of lacking faith, but that you have come to Him and are being honest about your need for Him. There is a song I love, “Lord I need you, Oh I need you, every hour I need you, my one  defense, my righteousness, oh Lord I need you now. 🎵” (link, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gS9e0nxHP-w). Another great song to get you through these times is Rich Mullin’s “Hold Me Jesus, I am shaking like a leaf, you’ve been kong of my glory, won’t you be my prince of peace?”  (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3vzx4iUHQqk
These are great songs to sing in any tone you possess, a prayer we all need to offer as our hearts are weighted down by this moment in history. Amen. 

Here are Lyrics of both Songs if you don’t have access to YouTube:

Lord I Need You 
-Matt Maher

“Lord, I come, I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You're the One that guides my heart

Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You
Where sin runs deep Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are
Where You are, Lord, I am free
Holiness is Christ in me
Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness

Oh God, how I need You
So teach my song to rise to You
When temptation comes my way
When I cannot stand I'll fall on You
Jesus, You're my hope and stay
Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You
You're my one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You
My one defense, my righteousness
Oh God, how I need You

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Christy Nockels / Daniel Carson / Jesse Reeves / Kristian Stanfill / Matt Maher
Lord, I Need You lyrics © Capitol Christian Music Group”

Hold Me Jesus 
-Rich Mullins

“Well, sometimes my life just don't make sense at all
When the mountains look so big,
And my faith just seems so small
So hold me Jesus,
Cause I'm shaking like a leaf 
You have been King of my glory 
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

And I wake up in the night and feel the dark
It's so hot inside my soul
I swear there must be blisters on my heart
So hold me Jesus,
Cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been King of my glory 
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

Surrender don't come natural to me 
I'd rather fight you for something
I don't really want
Than to take what you give that I need
And I've beat my head against so many walls
Now I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees
And the Salvation Army band is playing this hymn
And Your grace rings out so deep
It makes my resistance seem so thin

So hold me Jesus,
Cause I'm shaking like a leaf 
You have been King of my glory 
Won't You be my Prince of Peace
You have been King of my glory 
Won't You be my Prince of Peace

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Richard Mullins

Hold Me Jesus lyrics © Capitol Christian Music Group.” 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israel’s Conquest of Canaan: The Nephilim and Giants

  Christianity Today asserts that the conquest of Canaan can be a “stumbling block” for believers. This probably is because of a foolish idea of comparing it to a modern conquest happening in our world. The truth is that God had Israel conquer Canaan because it was ruled by evil giants, “We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them.” (Numbers 13:33). These are Anakim or Nephilim, the children of angels and human women, “When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God (angels) saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These w

Dispensationalism

John Nelson Darby (1800-1882) was a man who did two things, he took 70th week of the Book of Daniel and stretched out to the End Times, and he was the father of  Dispensationalism , a belief system that God dispenses different peoples with separate blessings and covenants. According to Darb'ys doctrine of Dispensationalism, God dispenses different covenants. There are total of seven dispensations that divide the history of man: I. Dispensation of Innocence (prior to the Fall, "Do not east of the Fruit of Good and Eve, Eden), II. Dispensation of Conscience ( You must assuage guilt and sin with blood sacrifices.) III. Dispensation of Human Government (Multiply and Subdue the world, example the Tower of Babel Gen 11:1-9, and Genesis 1:28). IV. Dispensation of the Promise (Dwell in Canaan, Jerusalem) V. Dispensation of the Law ("Obey the Law of Moses and the Prophets"). VI. Dispensation of Grace (The Church, Jesus Christ has come and died for our sins an

Jesus’ Name in Aramaic

There has been a trend to render Jesus’ name Hebrew, יֵשׁוּעַ , Yeshua. The problem is neither Christ nor his apostles, nor the Jews in 30-33 A.D. spoke Hebrew, they spoke Aramaic. A ramaic is the oldest language on earth and was the language Jesus spoke. In fact, the oldest Old Testament is the Septuagint a Greco translation around 132 B.C.E. (165 Years Before Christ)that was translated from Aramaic. The Masoretic Text, The Hebrew Old Testament most Bibles use, dates from 7th to 10th Century A.D. (Medieval Times).  This translation does not cross reference with the words of Christ in the New Testament which are Aramaic and Koine Greek.  If the Aramaic was what Jesus spoke, then by what name would have been called? Jesus’ name in Aramaic is Isho or Eesho, spelled ܝܫܘܥ . That is the name of our Lord in Aramaic! He would have heard his name in this dialect, “Hail Isho or Eesho!” as well as the Greek, Ἰ ησο ῦ ς , Iesous.  Aramaic is disappearing, only a few people are endeavo